Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN – The Minnesota Twins announced today that they will celebrate “Prince Night” at Target Field on June 16 to honor the late Minneapolis icon who passed away one year ago today. Along with Target Field being lit purple from April 20-23 as part of Paisley Park’s Celebration 2017 event, the Twins will include multiple game day elements for the June 16 game vs. the Cleveland Indians.
Prince Night plans to feature a variety of honors and festivities:
- The first 10,000 fans to Target Field will receive a limited edition “Purple Rain” umbrella (picture attached).
- Immediately following the seventh inning stretch, fans in possession of the Purple Rain umbrella will remain standing and open the umbrella for a special moment in remembrance of Prince.
- Prince music will be played throughout the ballpark pre-game and in-game.
- Twins players and staff will wear a special Prince themed T-shirt during batting practice (picture attached).
- The T-shirts will be auctioned off at twinsbaseball.com to benefit Achieve Minneapolis for music grants in Minneapolis Public Schools.
- Prince-themed fireworks will take place following the conclusion of the game between the Twins and Cleveland Indians.
“All of us in the Twins organization were deeply saddened by the loss of the late Minneapolis icon Prince,” said Twins President and CEO Dave St. Peter. “Along with our fans, we look forward to celebrating the legacy of a man who brought an international spotlight to our great city.”