By: Kate Butler |



Minnesota got off on the wrong foot of the first game in their 4-game road trip tonight in St. Louis. After an ugly loss in St. Paul last night against the Canucks, the Wild weren’t able to bounce back the way Head Coach Mike Yeo had expressed he hoped. Minnesota continued their downward trend tonight with a 5-1 loss.


Darcy Kuemper was given the nod to start again between the pipes tonight for the Wild, after being replaced by Bryzgalov after two periods last night in St. Paul. Kuemper stopped 19/24 shots that came his way tonight. Kuemper is now winless in his last five starts.


“I thought I had the right mindset tonight, but it’s just one of those things that at the end of the game it’s 5-1.” Kuemper told the media after the game.


Minnesota got out to a quick start tonight, out shooting St Louis from the beginning, but it didn’t last long. Less than five minutes into the opening period, TJ Oshie put the Blues on the board after swooping up a loose puck in the slot and ripping it just over Kuemper’s glove side.


After a major scuffle, leaving McCormick with a bloodied eye, Brodziak got two-minutes for roughing, while for the Blues, Shattenkirk saw four-minutes in the box and Lapierre picked up two minutes as well. Thus, giving the Wild a 4 minute power play, but it wouldn’t be Minnesota who capitalized on this opportunity. A short-handed goal, again from Oshie, gave the Blue the 2-0 lead just seconds before the end of the first period.


Jaden Schwartz, on a power play for the Blues, whistled one past Kuemper, giving his team a solid 3-0 lead at 13:10 into the second period. The teams both had six shots on goal this period, but Minnesota just couldn’t find the back of the net.


The final period of play opened with the Wild down by 3 goals. TJ Oshie picked up his first hat-trick of the season with a deflected shot past Kuemper midway through the period. At 8:42 into the period, Jason Pominville was given two minutes for tripping, and at 9:28 Brodziak picked up a misconduct penalty that landed him in the box for 10 minutes, along with a two minute penalty for slashing that was served by Nino Niederreiter. Giving the Blues a two-man advantage for more than one minute, a power play that Brenden Morrow was able to capitalize on, making the game 5-0. Less than half a minute later, the Wild finally answered with a wrister from Parise, but much like last night, it was too little too late.


“This was a team loss tonight, we had a great start…and we didn’t sustain it.” Head Coach Mike Yeo said of the loss after the game.



Minnesota continues the road-trip by traveling to Phoenix to take on the Coyotes on Saturday. The puck drops at 8 p.m. and you can catch all the action on FM 100.3 FM and