By: Kate Butler |


Tonight marked two milestones for a pair of Wild players: Matt Cooke played his 1,000th game in his NHL career, while Zach Parise skated in his 600th career game. While it got off to a promising start, yet another game decided by a shootout for the Wild ended in disappointment. After the extra period and shootout, Minnesota fell 4-3 to the last-place Edmonton Oilers.


Parise picked up his 12th power play goal of the season to give the Wild a 1-0 lead just over 11 minutes into the opening period. Spurgeon scored on a deflected shot less than three minutes later, with the assist going to Erik Haula. After initially being shut down by Fasth, Pominville collected the puck on the rebound and found the back of the net. In a span of 4:16 the Wild were sitting comfortably with a 3-0 lead. Edmonton finally cashed in with 16:55 left to play with a goal from Jeff Petry.  


The game settled down quite a bit in the second period, as it was scoreless for both teams. Charlie Coyle found himself in the box twice, once for hooking and again for interference. While Brodziak, Nugent-Hopkins, and Smyth all served time for hooking throughout the period. Minnesota outshot Edmonton 9-6 in the fairly slow period.


The final period of regulation play went largely in favor of the Oilers. A tip-in from David Perron, followed minutes later by an unstoppable snapshot from Jordan Eberle, closed the scoring gap and made it a tie game. After flipping the puck into the crowd, Matt Hendricks picked up a two-minute penalty for delay of game that extended into OT.

Minnesota started the extra period with 1:51 4-on-3 power play, but didn’t get one shot off even with the extra skater. Through five minutes, the Wild did not come up with even one shot on goal, while Edmonton came away with three shots on goal.


Parise, in a surprising move, went to his backhand and scored to start the shootout. Eberle was up first for Edmonton, and tied the shootout, flipping the puck over the glove of Kuemper. Koivu took a page out of Parise’s book, and beat Fasth with another backhand. David Perron followed up with backhand of his own, beating Kuemper to tie the shootout again. Moulson stepped up for his first shootout as a Wild player, but Fasth slammed the door. Sam Gagner was shut down via poke-check from Kuemper, keeping the 2-2 tie alive.


Pominville had the chance to win it for the Wild, but missed the net and shot just wide of Fasth. Taylor Hall snuck one past Kuemper, giving the Oilers the 3-2 win in the shootout and a 4-3 win for the game.


“We got complacent. There was a lack of energy on the bench. …We played with no intensity, no urgency, and it felt like we got a little cocky.” Parise said after the game. Head Coach Mike Yeo said, “…We never grabbed control of the game, let’s put it that way.”



The Wild will have the day off tomorrow and return to the Xcel Center on Thursday to host the New York Rangers. The puck drops at 7 p.m. and you can catch all the action on KFAN 100.3 FM and